Sunday 19 April 2015

Almost there (at the start line that is)

It's the final Countdown! De de do do, de de de da doo

Well I can't believe it is almost here, One week from now I will hopefully have successfully completed the London marathon. After all the pain, illnesses and the long lonely runs in all sorts of terrible Scottish weather I feel pretty confident that I will at the very least make the starting line. The finishing line? Well that is yet to be seen!

It's been a much better week as I've been in the pre run recovery where the advice has been to slow down and allow the muscles to recover. This week I took the opportunity to get a feel for the race atmosphere by taking part in the Edinburgh 5K Parkrun. As this was a very short run in comparison I wanted to really push it and had a target of 25 minutes. Much to my annoyance when I received the email telling me of my official race time it was 25 minutes and 1 second,  I was 196th out of 418 and had I been a girl I would have almost been in the top 40 ladies, which I think is something to be pleased about.  Although I really enjoyed having people around and can't even imagine what it's going to be like having 36,000 people around.


(Me looking very tired with only 200 metres to go at the park run, perhaps had I not slowed down for the camera I would have made it in under 25 minutes)

Well it seems appropriate at this time to pay my respects to one thing that has been with me through all my training but just won't make it for the big day, it may not seem it to you but this is a significant loss to me. After almost 250 miles of training in the last 4 months, my favourite shorts are no longer in a condition that they can be trusted to provide me with the support I will need for 26.2 miles....

(It's become a pretty big hole)

In some ways I feel upset on behalf of my shorts, it's kind of like when John Terry was playing for Chelsea all season but was suspended for the Champions League final, which would have been the biggest match of his career.  They may not be on my body but they will be in my thoughts.... Rest In Peace goodly shorts.

Well I hope to be able to share the key aspects of the weekend with you all via Facebook and I'll be sure to have a post race report on my return (Assuming I've survived!)

Wish me luck!

Vital Stats

Time run this week -  25 minutes 1 second
Distance covered this week - 5.0km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 371.3km
Average pace - 5 minutes 0.2 seconds per kilometre

Donor of the week

People have been very generous this week and the Actuaries Charitable Trust has had some great donations:


Firstly I must thank my employer, CPRM, who this week were extremely generous with their donation. I'm very lucky to work with some great people all of whom have been very supportive to me and my marathon attempt. It is great that the company has shown their support in this way and I'm very grateful to them.

Secondly I must also thank my good friends the Watson family:


(Steve and Rachel in their best outfits)

These guys have ensured I will think of them all the way by sponsoring me £1 for every mile.

Thirdly I must also thank Master Martin for his second donation to the marathon cause. Martin currently holds the position of the Master of the worshipful Company of Actuaries, which is the livery company that operates the Actuaries Charitable Trust. Thank you again Martin.

Please give generously!

It is only one week to the big day but it's not too late to sponsor this  fantastic cause. http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false


1 comment:

  1. Remember, it's the taking part that counts. He who never fought could never win.
    Good luck with your race.
    Run Garry, Run!!

    ReplyDelete