Sunday 5 April 2015

Down But Hopefully Not Out

Well you shall have to put up with me (Nurse Lynne) this week since our athlete is sick!  It all started on Friday when I suggested we spend the weekend decorating and gardening.  Gary suddenly developed a debilitating illness.  Suspicious I know, I thought the same but he has been rather convincing.

On Friday morning I decided the best thing to do would be to ignore it and give him disapproving looks when he didn't want to come to Homebase to buy wallpaper with me.  He soldiered on and I mustered some sympathy and thanked him for coming.   He was still planning an afternoon run and we both thought it might be just what was needed to show the germs who's boss.  He was going to meet his colleague at 5.30pm for a longer run, so just enough time to paint 3 walls of our sons bedroom.  I started to notice he really was quite unwell as we got going,  I think it was when he leaned over me and dripped snot on my hand!  So he admitted defeat and decided to cancel the afternoon run.  After the first coat was finished the sweat was lashing off of him and he decided to take a wee nap in between coats.  

He slept for 4 hours!  And spent the whole of the next day in bed.  By late afternoon he got up saying he felt better and asked if he could help.  He pasted one strip of wallpaper but the effort sent him back to bed for another 2 hours.  Now I normally don't mind sleeping next to my hot husband but these last two nights I could have fried an egg on him!  Now Gary is one of lifes stalwarts when it comes to illness.  In the last 5 years he has had one sick day off work when he had something similar to this.  We are not sure if its flu or something gastric since there has been some vomiting and the other.  He hasn't eaten and has only been able to sip water until today, he has just finished some lunch.  We are both hoping we don't see that again!  

So what does all this mean for our Marathon runner?  Well he is a little concerned since getting up the stairs is taking his breath away at the moment.    But with some positive thinking and lots of encouragement I'm sure he will still do us all proud.  Perhaps the lost weight will make it easier to carry himself round the 26miles-and he has lost a lot of weight.  Anyone looking for an effective crash diet may want to come visit and give him a big hug to catch his bug.  

I think it has made him feel worse as today has been gorgeous, probably the best weather day of the year, yesterday was quite nice too.  While Charlie and I haven't been able to venture far we have been able to get out on the bikes and enjoy the garden.  Poor Gary hasn't been able to join us.  This weekend is probably also the first Easter Holiday for about 8 years where he hasn't needed to be stuck in the house for different reasons.  Normally at this time of year he has had an exam to study for.  I know poor guy and I'm laying it on pretty thick aren't I?  I am probably just feeling guilty for my lack of sympathy initially.  

Well I am not sure re stats he was at the gym this week and spent a fair bit of time on the cross trainer.  Let's wish him luck for the week ahead and hope this doesn't effect his progress so far.

Hmm blogs need pictures don't they?  Hmm. would you be interested in seeing my sons wallpapered room and a before and after of the garden?  You would ok well here you go then.....

Gary pasted the second strip from the window-sterling effort!


Nearly before.


And After.


And what was Gary doing while all of this was going on?  Well variations of this position....... 

Poor guy please send him some love and donations are always appreciate too.


All donors of the week will be featured next week.  Thanks to all those who have donated so far.


Please give generously!

We are now less than 3 weeks away from the big day so if you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false




No comments:

Post a Comment