Monday 16 March 2015

Going the extra mile...

Only six weeks to go!

This week I had someone come to me this week and say, "Gary, I've been reading your blog and I don't think you are doing enough training, all of these 10K runs should be 10 mile runs", other people have also echoed this sentiment, up to now I have been able use a range of excuses from studying for exams and having sore legs and worrying about injuries. My main worry however is that I agree with them but I am just unsure of the best way to prepare now.

Getting ready for work on Tuesday, I decided to do something different, I packed my running stuff went to the train station and asked the ticket man for a "single to South Gyle train station, for I am going to run home!" I had hoped for a shocked reaction from the ticket man but he just gave me an odd look and went on with his job. As the day wore on I became less and less convinced that this was a good idea, I had mapped out the route and it was around 20K (further than I have run up to this point) I decided that I would then run to Inverkeithing park and ride then get the bus home, a slightly more sensible 14 - 15K. I had even timed it so that I would comfortably make it back for a bus that would take me home.

I managed to leave work at the right time and everything was going smoothly until I reached the following sign:


In a car, I think it's reasonable to have the occasional diversion, but I did not expect this running home. The footpath diversion was huge adding around 2 to 3K of rolling hills to my run, meaning that in total I had run 17.2K and missed my bus home, although I did  enjoy the cracking views in getting to run across the road bridge.


(Instead of the expected run route of a straight line between 5K and 9.5K, I found myself taking the long way round)

As I was out that night I didn't really have time for much of a warm down, I just showered and went on my jolly way. The lack of warm down and the extra mile (or two) caught up with me at night as I woke up in a lot of pain in my hip, Wednesday morning has been about as low as I have felt in all my training as I kind of felt that I am just not made to run long distances (without hurting myself at least).

I approached the weekend with a lot of caution, not knowing if I would be able do even a shot run. However by Saturday morning I felt ok again so I went out to do another 10K, as I was approaching home I still felt fine and was able to turn that 10K into 10 miles!

Next week's challenge is to make it home (or at least get to the bus stop in time)

Vital Stats

Time run this week -  3 hours 20 minutes
Distance covered this week - 33.3km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 272.6km
Average pace - 6 minutes 0 seconds per kilometre

Donor of the week

I got two great donations this week which included my very first "international donation". My donors of the week were:

The McRobbs

Lynne's older sister Nikki (in the middle) and her husband Alex left Dunfermline a couple of years ago for Aberdeen(shire). In appreciation for my deep love (when I say love, I mean fear) of dogs they will hopefully be opening a kennels business later this year. I think they don't want me to visit!

Suzanne Newson

I was surprised when this old friend form my teenage years who moved to the good old USA  ages ago made a donation and inspiring quote from one of my favourite all-time movies.

"Run, Forest, Run." Good luck with your race.



Thanks guys

Please give generously!

We are now just 6 short weeks away from the big day so if you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false







No comments:

Post a Comment