Sunday 22 March 2015

Once in a generation events! (the eclipse and the marathon)


Apart from the running, this week's been pretty good. Usually at this time of year it's about knuckling down and getting some serious revision down for actuarial exams. It's a relief seeing that pressure that my friends at work are now starting to feel won't affect me this April, although it doesn't mean I'm not studying...

(When I'm not out pounding the street I'm revising marathon theory)

This week has been marked by a few significant 'once in a generation' type events, I pretty much blinded myself on Friday morning looking up at he sun, looking out for the eclipse. I thought it was awesome, I went out with my pal Gary at around 9:25 and we enjoyed the amazing spectacle that was happening in the sky with a bacon roll (for protein purposes mainly!) Even though my phone is rubbish I got these decent snaps which I was quite happy with...





It was the kind of thing that geeky actuaries love, then it just continued to get better on Friday afternoon as the FTSE100 index went above 7000 points for the first time ever. It was like the best day for actuaries since the release of 'the Pensions Act 2004', and will be difficult to top!

Which all brings me to my own once in a generation event - running a marathon I will never, ever put my body through this again!

It's been an up and down week! I got so close to last week's commitment to run home from work, had it not been for the massive diversion on the bike path still being in place and the dark forcing me to take the long way home from Inverkeithing I probably would have made it. Anyway I completely ran out of gas and had to call Lynne to pick me up about a mile from home! For the first 18km I actually felt pretty good and it was done at an ok pace, the last 5km I was just running on fumes, I think I probably just needed some nourishment.

Anyway since that my legs and hip have been quite sore. I tried to go out for a shorter run yesterday but by 5km I had to stop as I felt like I was really aggravating something and had to walk home. I came home pretty dejected to be honest. I needed the help of Uncle Paul the physio, who basically told me I need to man up a bit:



I'm also now finding I'm being a little less tight and trying to invest in a lot of 'products' that will help me do better, here is just a sample of the things I'm now using:


Only 5 weeks to go now, I somehow need to find the balance between training and survival!  On the bright side however, I've had a few people this week say to me that I'm looking skinnier! It may just be worth the pain!

Vital Stats

Time run this week -  3 hours 10 minutes
Distance covered this week - 30.9km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 303.5km
Average pace - 6 minutes 9 seconds per kilometre

Donor of the week

I got three donations this week, thanks to everyone who has been so kind!

The Edinburgh Anderson's, this is my brother and his family:


They also left this great message inspired by my all time favourite movie

Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth...there is no spoon. Then you will see that it is not the spoon that's bends, it is yourself! There is no 26.218 miles...However, you are a spoon

Also my niece Amy Campbell:


(An old picture from a few years ago which she will probably not thank me for)

Amy, currently one of those poor students, has been pressured more than most for a donation, given all the free nights accommodation she's had at our place in the past few months.

I also received a mystery donation from someone calling themselves a "friend of a friend" perhaps wishing to remain anonymous I really appreciate this donation as it shows the generous spirit that many actuaries have. So thank you very much!

Thanks guys

Please give generously!

We are now just 5 short weeks away from the big day so if you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false

No comments:

Post a Comment