Sunday 18 January 2015

Milestones, making friends and magic shoes

As promised last week I managed to make it out three times in one week. This is a significant milestone for me as I've made this promise to myself at the start of each week since I started training for the marathon but hadn't managed 3 times until this week.  This has helped me, in part, cross some other significant milestones towards completing the marathon:

  • This week I completed my 100th kilometre since starting to train.
  • I also burned my 10,000th calorie.
  • I got a few more donations which means I now have over £200 (including gift aid) towards the actuaries charitable trust.
  • Lastly and probably most significantly, my belt and I have gone into uncharted territory by using the 4th hole!
Another new thing this week was a running buddy, my niece (Amy) and her boyfriend (Chris) came by to visit on Thursday. One thing led to another and within a short time Chris and I were out pounding the street. Now Chris is not fit like me, he's more fit like Arnold Schwarzenegger......in his prime.   He is extremely fit! He spends a lot of time body building and is pretty massive. He pulled me along and it was definitely the fastest run I've done.

After my Christmas present disappointment with no running related gifts (aside from the nipple protectors) and also with it being payday this week, I convinced Lynne it was a good time to get my running shoes. So yesterday afternoon we headed down to JD sports in Dunfermline to look for shoes.

Now JD sports in Dunfermline is a great place to get running shoes as they have a running machine, with a computer and camera attached to make sure you get the best shoes. They have you try on different shoe and video your feet and legs when running on the machine. The assistant first let me try on a standard pair of shoes, we then watched it together and his comment was something along the lines of "wow you really run like a penguin". Apparently I have slightly odd shaped feet with high arches and need a lot of support.

After trying 3 or 4 different pairs of running shoes and insoles with intense analysis, I found a combination that as the assistant said "almost makes you run normally".

I'm very pleased with my magic shoes which have turned me from a penguin to almost normal.



Vital Stats

Time run this week - 2 hours 36 minutes
Distance covered this week - 26.5km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 122.1km
Average pace - 5 minutes 53 seconds
Weight loss this week - still haven't replaced the batteries

Donor of the week

Well I had a couple of great donations this week, one from Pat O'Keefe the almoner of the Company of Actuaries Charitable Trust which was greatly appreciated. However having given me life (as they often reminded me growing up) my donors of the week are Keith and Elaine Anderson aka mum and dad, with the following message clearly written by dad:

Your such an inspiration to me and your mum.......yeah right! Looking forward to a long weekend in London though.

When it comes to my parents, the inspiring sporting triumph stories definitely come from Dad who was superfit as a youngster, it seems to have skipped a generation. Although these days 20 minutes exercise could put him out of action for months. Stories of hard work, patience and endurance definitely come more from mum who has put up with dad for 35 years!



Mum and dad will also be coming to London as part of the weekend and it will be great to have them there!  Thanks

Please give generously!If you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false

No comments:

Post a Comment