Sunday 11 January 2015

Several cases of mistaken identity!

On Monday morning I woke up to national sports headlines I have always dreamt of - "Gary Anderson is crowned champion of the world!" - Gary Anderson had won the world championships of darts.

Now unfortunately the real reason that it's taken me so long to get though the actuarial exams isn't because I have been moonlighting as a professional darts player. The truth is that there are at least two Gary Andersons (and probably many more). Despite this I have still had a fair number of folks congratulate me on winning the darts championship.

Then this morning I was very excited to receive an email from my justgiving page, saying that I have received a donation from Martin, now the only Martin I know (or that I can currently think of) is my good colleague (and friend) Martin Smith who is lucky enough to get to sit beside me for 8 hours everyday at work.  Shortly after receiving the email, I sent Martin a text to thank him for his kind donation. A few hours later he texts back to say it wasn't him! So somewhere out there I have a mystery donor, so Martin X if you are out there and you are reading this,thank you very much!

These two things reminded me of an experience a few years ago when Lynne and I were out running in Dunfermline. We were almost home and we were running past these two guys, now trying not to sound too judgemental, these two looked like total wideboys. As we ran by them, I heard one of them say to the other "check oot the legs on her", now at that moment, I wondered if I should be a brave knight and defend the honour of my fair maiden. Then just at that moment I looked down and noticed that Lynne was wearing dark trousers and they were actually talking about me. I may be a little strange but to this day I still think it's one of the best complements I've ever had.

Look at those legs! I wonder what those guys were smoking.

My runs have gone pretty well this week, I managed my longest ever run of 14.8km yesterday in extremely stormy conditions, at one point there were hail stones and it really stung. I can now feel myself getting fitter, and thankfully my 'good' suit trousers are fitting much better.

My big goal for next week is to actually make it out three times.

Vital StatsTime run this week - 2 hours 32 minutes
Distance covered this week - 24.9km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 95.6km
Average pace - 6 minutes 6 seconds
Weight loss this week - scales have stopped working

Donors of the week

Aside from my mystery man Martin, I have also had two fantastic sponsorships, one from my sister in law Katrina and the other from a friend from church Emma Hann. As these two were the best of friends growing up I have decided to make them my joint donors of the week!


The pinnacle of Katrina's running career finishing the deerstalker shortly before her 40th birthday (she started just after her 39th birthday).

Emma with some of her children sleeping rough in the streets of Dundee one night to raise money for the bethany christian trust.

Now one interesting statistic about Katrina and Emma is that despite both being just short of five foot, between them they have had a wopping 18 children (with another one on the way). I think that they would probably use the old excuse that the number of children they have has had a significant impact on their careers as Olympic Athletes. Although there is probably a thing or two they could teach me about endurance!

Katrina has estimated that I will finish the marathon in 4 hours 32 minutes - I could probably live with that!
Thank you Katrina and Emma!

Please give generously!

If you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false

No comments:

Post a Comment