Sunday 15 February 2015

50 Shades of Gary!

I'm relieved that I have survived my man-flu, it was touch and go there for a while but I'm pleased to have made a Lazarusesque recovery.

Not only that but I also managed to put on my running shoes twice this week and continue preparing for the London marathon. I still wasn't quite 100% which made the runs extremely slow but I think it will still stand me in good stead for the coming weeks.

As part of my new found fitness regime, I have expected at some point that I would regain some of the handsomeness of my youth.  Reversing the downward trend of an ageing, balding and belly expanding thirty-something to a lean mean marathon machine. I was mentally preparing myself for some future time where I would have to let the ladies down gently and tell them I was no longer available. So to be honest it was a little disheartening and confidence shattering to not be getting the attention I  had expected!

That was until this week.....



It started earlier this week we were lucky enough to have Lynne's granny (or nana as she is called in the family) around for dinner. Now every time we have nana around, I am always on my best behaviour and I always try to stay on her good side. She will then usually spend the next little while telling Lynne how lucky she is to have a good man like me, which annoys Lynne because I'm not usually so helpful.

Anyway this time Lynne was giving nana a makeover while I was making dinner for everyone. As I served dinner, I could tell that nana was suitably impressed with my helpfulness around the house. Then she said "Do you know if I was 50 years younger, I'd make you dump her (talking about Lynne her own granddaughter) and come home with me!". This took me back a little and instead of giving my pre-prepared speech saying that I was no longer available etc,etc. I just said "Nana if I was just 10 years older I'd take you up on that offer!

Nana has not only given me the best compliment of the week, but she also very generously made a donation towards the Company of Actuaries Charitable Trust.  What a cracking old bird!

My lucky streak with the ladies continued this week, when in an attempt to save money on valentine flowers I decided to write a poem for Lynne, record it and put it on Facebook (way outside of my comfort zone) and for some reason lots of people wanted to watch it!  A good lot more than ever read this blog thats for sure. 1,500 views in the last two days.  So the good old Anderson charm has returned.  I put it down to the running.  Maybe a video blog is the way forward to drum up sponsorship.....I mean keep folk up to date.

Vital Stats

Time run this week - 2 hours 23 minutes
Distance covered this week - 22.7km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 201.1km
Average pace - 6 minutes 20 seconds

Donor of the week

Other than nana, I was excited this week to receive an email saying that I received a donation from my friend and fellow church goer Jane Brown. Jane has very kindly made a sizeable donation to the Charitable Trust which is very kind of her. I spoke with Jane's husband today who said she was a little poorly today, so Jane please get well soon (least it's not the dreaded man-flu) and thank you very much! 

Please give generously!

We are now just 10 short weeks away from the big day so if you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false

No comments:

Post a Comment