Sunday 1 February 2015

Smokin' hot actuarial models!

Well as the self proclaimed running actuary, this week I have had to focus a lot more on the actuary part than the running part. As on Wednesday I had my CA2 exam - "actuarial modelling".

Now I don't want to make too big of a deal about it, it is definitely regarded as one of the easiest of the 15 actuarial exams, but this fact doesn't give me too much comfort as I failed this exam with flying colours just 6 months ago. It is a modelling exam which basically means I have to build a mathematical model using an excel spreadsheet and a write a couple of documents about what it does and how to use  it.  It always sounds a lot less glamorous than when you tell folks that your work is sending you an a modelling course!

The exam started at 9am and had to be finished at 5pm and I was so wary of running out of time so I only took a six minute break to eat a pork pie and packet of roast beef monster munch (the classic brain food). Despite the shortness of my lunch break, it got to around half past 4 and I still had a load of things that I wanted to write and so it was very intense, I swear for the last half hour there was steam coming out of the keyboard and I thought the lap top might burst into flames, but at 4:59pm the exam was submitted. Now it's just the painful 12 week wait until the results are issued.

Now thinking about it sitting CA2 is actually pretty good marathon training - It takes hours to complete, you don't get much of a break, as it gets closer to the end you get breathless and sweaty and it takes a good few hours to put it out of your mind.

Unfortunately the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries make you delete all your work after it has been submitted, so I can't let you see the output of my hard day's work. Although I can leave you with this picture of a smokin' hot actuarial model.



Vital Stats

As I said, running wasn't the priority this week, I did manage two shorter and very slow runs, I've also been struggling to recover from last weeks long run. If you dislike the smell of deep heat you need to stay well away from me.

Time run this week - 1 hour 47 minutes
Distance covered this week - 17.7km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 168.3km
Average pace - 6 minutes 5 seconds

Donor of the week

Well from one actuarial model to another I was extremely please to receive a donation this week from my good friend,who also happens to be my colleague, Gary Muller.



Not only is Gary one of the smartest guys I know, he has an awesome taste in music and is the current actuarial team ten pin bowling champion. Above all he is a very generous chap!

Thank you Gary!

Please give generously!

If you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false

No comments:

Post a Comment