Monday 23 February 2015

Duracel bunny marathon!

Well I've had to mix it up a bit this week. As the number of runs have added up over the last two and a bit months my calf muscles have been getting sorer after each run, I hoped it was just my legs getting stronger. After last week I worried that more running might be making the pain in my left leg worse.   Then after Tuesday nights run I knew that I had to give my calf a break from running as it felt like the muscle was about to pop.

Not wanting to lose any fitness, I have taken part in a load of different sports and exercises to get fitter and get my lungs working. Other than running this week I have done a Les Mills bodycombat class, bike ride, yoga and even pool. In doing this I have learned the following:
  • Bodycomabat makes your shoulders and back hurt.
  • Cycling makes your bum and knees sore.
  • Yoga makes parts of your body that you don't know exist sore.
  • Pool doesn't make anything sore, but I'm not sure it helps preparing for a marathon.
The highlight of the exercise this week though was a 26.2 mile marathon bike ride. It absolutely terrifies me to actually see how long a marathon is and I can't quite believe that I'm going to have to run that far. I was also going as fast as I could although I welcomed any break at traffic lights or in the traffic. It took me just under 1 hour 55 minutes to complete the cycle and was pretty knackered, the crazy thing that I realised though was that the winner of the London marathon in 9 weeks time will complete the race in around the same time that it took me to cycle, which is pretty impressive.

It's even more impressive when you consider my Lance Armstrong style cheating....



This canister is my equivalent to the blood doping scandal, most folks look at it attached to the bike and think it's some form of fancy drink canister but it's actually a battery, that will provide a little extra power when I'm struggling. I love the double take of serious lycra clad cyclists with their fancy roadbikes as I coast past while going up a steep hill on a clunky looking mountain bike, for some bizarre reason it makes me feel really manly.

I just wonder if they'll invent battery powered legs in time for April!

Vital Stats

I only managed one run this week but many thanks to my running buddy Martin who pushed me hard to make it the fastest one.


(Took a pre run selfie, I would have also taken a post run one, but I had to focus on breathing)

Time run this week -  54 minutes
Distance covered this week - 10.0km
Distance covered since beginning of training - 211.1km
Average pace - 5 minutes 28 seconds

Donor of the week

I'm very happy to have received a donation from Paul and Wendy Lynch, Paul also has an important role as being the official marathon physio and has to put up with all my moaning.



Thank you Paul!

Please give generously!

We are now just 9 short weeks away from the big day so if you would love the chance to be donor of the week and at the same time help a great cause that contributes to loads of different charities then please go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=therunningactuary&faId=524011&isTeam=false

No comments:

Post a Comment